Friday, November 19, 2010

Meeting Ron Paul

I went to listen to a speech at ASU today by Dr. Ron Paul, a physician and congressman from Texas. I wasn't really surprised by the number of people, but I was surprised about one thing and I think that it is one thing that separates libertarians from Tea Party conservatives and other political groups: there weren't any crazies. No nazi signs, no "obamacare is for morans" signs, and things of the like. It was a calm crowd, who would clap politely when Dr. Paul said something they liked and weren't disruptive or hateful. Every now and then someone would shout "end the Fed!", and I think that made him smile, haha.

There was one heckler, who I assumed by the communist t-shirt he was wearing wasn't there for the speech, but whatever.

Overall, I was impressed with the speech. I've listened to a speech he gave a while back on YouTube, but it was much different in person. You could audibly hear the frustration in his voice. He was not angry, and he was not blaming anyone, but you could tell that he was upset about the direction this country has taken in the last 100 years or so. I liked that about him.

For the most part, I agree with Dr. Paul. I want to end the Fed, withdraw ALL troops from abroad, restore a currency standard, end the drug war, etc. I don't agree with him on abortion, but you can't expect to agree with everyone I suppose.

I'm not a Republican, and never will be, but I would vote for him; hopefully he'll run for president again in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment