Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pat Tillman Was An Atheist?

So, after watching Bill Maher interview Richard Tillman (Pat Tillman's brother), I learned something that I didn't know: Pat Tillman was an atheist.

That's a surprise, right? That sure wasn't in the news when he died. If he was an active member of a church, I bet that would have been in the papers.

Well, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so we'll just assume that's all bullshit and say the family was private. That sounds good. You know what else sounds good? This next little quote. It made my day and brought up an interesting issue.

Pat's funeral was attended by Maria Shriver and Senator John McDouche . . . I mean McCain. As shown in the documentary The Tillman Story, Maria at one point said "Pat, you are home. You are safe." McCain then added to this and said "You will see Pat again when a loving god reunites us all with our loved ones."

This is followed by the most insane, but somewhat interesting quote at a funeral I've heard in a long time. Richard then went up to give a short eulogy and said this:

"Thank you for coming. Pat's a fucking champion and he always will be. Just make no mistake, he'd want me to say this. He's not with God. He's fucking dead. He's not religious so, thanks for your thoughts, but he's fucking dead."

I heard that and was like "DAMN"! What he said later in the interview was also kind of like "DAMN!" He explained this to Maher:

"I don't into a church and say 'this is bullshit, so don't come to my brother's service and tell me he's with God.'"

Now, I think that in general his statement was a little out of place for a funeral, but it makes sense. He is obviously upset about his brothers death and so I think that got the best of him, but I wouldn't want that kind of stuff at my funeral either. I'm not religious, so I wouldn't want people telling me or my friends and family that I'm with god. I'd want them to know that I'm dead. For someone to say something like that might be offensive. Like he said, you wouldn't go into a church and say their beliefs are bullshit, so why go to the funeral of a non-religious person and say that they're with god?

Anyways, just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment